Thursday, November 27, 2014

New Ruger 10/22 SS Synthetic


I’m not really sure why I can’t just stop buying stuff.  I’ve already got a 10/22 but then I got the idea in my head that it’d be great to mount mine in a Hogue overmold stock.  My Archangel Nomad kit was giving me a bit of grief but I think I got it sorted out and now it’s running fine so I didn’t really need to dump the chassis anymore.  Anyway, long story short, I really wanted to try out the Hogue stock, so I got one.  Then I decided instead of having the same rifle and swapping between chassis and a more traditional rifle stock, just have both.  So I ordered a pile of parts (barrel, hammer/sear kit, rail, etc) to seal the deal and force me to shop for another rifle.  I came across this one and jumped on it.



The rifle was in mint condition and had a relatively low round count, but that didn’t matter to me as I was planning on tossing the barrel and stock anyway.  I did the same thing with my first 10/22, haha!  Didn’t even shoot it as is, just took it straight out of the package and my buddy Jay (I didn’t know a thing about firearms back then) helped me take it down and drop it into the Archangel kit.













My first 10/22 was the plain blued version with the wood stock.  This one was the Stainless Steel version with the synthetic stock.  The finish on it isn’t what one normally thinks is SS, it’s not the regular shiny machined or polished finish, it’s more of a matte/satin finish.  The barrel and receiver are both this finish and the trigger group is a gray plastic and is more or less color matched.  The barrel band is also gray plastic to match the other stuff.  The black synthetic stock is very plain, but comfortable.  It’s not something you’d be afraid to abuse, but it will not accommodate heavy profile barrels so if you’re thinking of swapping barrels, you’ll definitely have to get a new stock, or bore this one out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not quite a daisho, but pretty close.

 Not quite a daisho, but close at a quick glance.  A lot of times, daisho didn't have perfectly matched koshirae, or even blades from th...