Saturday, October 21, 2017

Surefire Training Suppressor

I'm not sure what in blue blazes compelled me to get one of these, but I did.  What is it about some of us when it comes to building clones?  Every little detail painstakingly replicated to the best of our abilities.  Two of the things that just can't be done in Canada are the fun switch, and suppressors.  I had a chat with one of my buddies who actually uses suppressors while on the job, but is not allowed to personally own one.  Yet even he has a few fake suppressors in his personal collection of firearms, and the best reason that the two of us could come up with was simply.......they look cool.

irunguns.ca was bringing these in for $300 USD plus shipping to Canada, plus tax, plus shipping to your house.  I most certainly did not pay that much for a fake suppressor, but I have in the past purchased some fake cans (made for airsoft) for photo shoots only, and those cost $30-60 USD.




Anyway, this little number is actually made by Surefire for use with their muzzle devices.  I've seen a few unboxing videos of the real deal (Surefire Training Suppressor SOCOM 5.56mm) and those come packaged in basically the same box, except the real cans come with a molle carrying case.  The fake can was simply wrapped in a bubble wrapper.


The first thing I noticed about this device, which is essentially an elongated Surefire Warden Blast Diffuser.  For about $100 more than the Warden, you get a bit more steel on the tube.  Yep, these things are made of steel, near as I can tell, and felt surprisingly heavier than I expected.




The walls of the tube are fairly thick, and the business end of this device is just an open end, with no threads.  There is no way one could easily convert this into a real suppressor.


Surefire states that the mounting mechanism is identical to the real deal, but this wouldn't be a huge deal for them as they already have the exact same mounting system on their Warden.




I did notice that there was some slight discoloration in the fastening knob, like a bit of uneven anodizing or whatever they use to finish these things, but the main tube body appeared to have a slightly different color and even finish.  Not a big deal at all for me as the rest of my rifle is 50 shades of FDE anyway, and besides, I didn't pay $1,200 USD for the real deal anyway, so can't really complain.













The Surefire 4 prong visible through the gaping hole at the end of the training suppressor.




















Anyway, I've got a couple of other fake canes, one for the Mod 0 clone, and one for the Mk12 Mod 1 clone, but those are both airsoft cans, and I would not take the chance of firing either of my rifles with those things attached.  The Surefire unit however was designed to be fired through as it is a training device.  I've actually never tried out the Noveske Flaming Pig or the Surefire Warden, so I look forward to trying this thing out and see if it makes any sort of difference in terms of directing noise and blast forward or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not quite a daisho, but pretty close.

 Not quite a daisho, but close at a quick glance.  A lot of times, daisho didn't have perfectly matched koshirae, or even blades from th...