Sunday, June 22, 2014

Rifle-length G36 handguard for my Ruger 10/22


So I picked up an H&K G36 rifle-length hand guard for my Ruger 10/22.  I had a bunch of stuff bolted on to my shorter one but it was pretty cumbersome and heavy enough with the chassis and heavy-profile barrel.  


Unfortunately the hand guard was not a perfect fit for my Archangel kit so it required some modification.


Besides the fitting issue, the new hand guard, much like the original Archangel one, would actually contact the barrel.  To have a truly free-floating barrel, the hand guard had to be totally clear of the barrel.  


 H&K G36 hand guard


 Archangel G36 hand guard.


 There's a faint rub mark on the stainless steel barrel where the old hand guard was contacting the barrel.


 Next to the original hole, I had to drill a new one.  It was messy, I eyeballed it, and therefore the end result was ugly and imperfect, but it worked and I was able to mount the longer hand and still free float the barrel.











Compared to before, the new hand guard looks virtually the same except it is slightly longer, has two additional vent-holes, and no rails installed.  I think I'm just going to leave it looking like this.  Looks a little cleaner than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not quite a daisho, but pretty close.

 Not quite a daisho, but close at a quick glance.  A lot of times, daisho didn't have perfectly matched koshirae, or even blades from th...