Monday, November 28, 2016

Seiko Prospex 200m diver automatic SRP773K1 blue

My long time friend Eric decided to get me into watches this year.  I've personally never owned a watch that cost more than $150, to this is a first for me.  He likes watches about as much as I like guns, and his collection shows, nearly 50 or so watches (I don't have that many guns though).  

Anyway, we've had conversations about watches, how to get started, what to look for, where to look etc.  I've had my eye on the watch of James Bond for a short time, lol, because that has really been my only reference to fine time pieces.  Of course, I know of Rolex, but in all honesty, that's just beyond my comfort level of spending for metal and glass, especially if it does not allow me to spot my splashes at 1,000m away, hahaha!

Omega on the other hand, was within my realm of possibilities.  I was casually shopping around for a Seamaster 300m Chronometer (2531.80.00) or a Seamaster Planet Ocean ( 2201.50.00), but other obligations popped up and shopping for a watch sort of fell by the wayside.  I still want one of these, but that will have to wait.

In the meantime, my buddy Eric decided to plant the seed of watch collecting and sent me a Seiko Prospex SRP773K1.  


Some details on the watch:

Imported
NEW 4R36 Automatic winding with manual winding mechanism, 24 Jewels
Power reserve 41 hours
LumiBrite luminous hands and indices

Brand, Seller, or Collection Name: Seiko Watches
Model number: SRP773
Part Number: SRP773K1
Item Shape: turtle
Dial window material type: Hardlex
Display Type: Analog
Clasp: Fold over clasp
Case material: Stainless steel
Case diameter: 45 millimeters
Case Thickness: 13
Band Material: Stainless steel
Band length: Men's Standard
Band width: 22 millimeters
Band Color: Silver
Dial color: Blue
Bezel function: Unidirectional
Calendar: Day and date
Special features: 41 hours running time
Movement: Japanese automatic
Water resistant depth: 200 Meters



This is pretty much the finest watch I've ever owned.  I don't actually wear watches that much as I often resort to my cell phone for the time, and I don't wear any jewelry aside from my wedding band, but it felt kind of nice to put this time piece on.  Though it is not often visible in my regular work attire (plain business attire minus the tie), I find myself thinking about it sometimes, wanting to look at it.  Lol, I feel like Golem, coveting the one ring that ruled them all, hahahaha!







So, on CGN, I sometimes see folks taking these artsy style photos of their watches, often with a knife, gun, flashlight and passport or other such objects so I decided to play around with some of my toys to see if I could get the same effect.  

I have to say, the watch photographs very well.  It looks great in photos, it looks great in real life, and I know this sounds silly, but it feels good wearing it.  I went to The German Watchmaker in Vancouver and had the watch fitted today and it's kind of nice to wear a watch again.  He told me that I had a very functional and very useful watch which should serve me well for a very, very long time.  As this is not really a review, rather observations from a noob watch guy, I defer further information and details about the watch to a professional watch review:

https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-prospex-srp-srp773k1-srp775k1-srp777k1-srp779k1-hands-on-review-price/

Anyway, I'm very happy with my new Seiko, thanks again Eric!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not quite a daisho, but pretty close.

 Not quite a daisho, but close at a quick glance.  A lot of times, daisho didn't have perfectly matched koshirae, or even blades from th...