Thursday, March 8, 2012

New Toys

Well, updates on the Jeep are a bit slow right now because I've gotten myself into new hobby that will probably end up being another money pit.  I'm posting pictures here because sometimes these two hobbies can go hand-in-hand.  I'm not saying that one always correlates to the other, but I've seen it happen more often than not. 

I got my PAL a few months ago and the original intention was so I could get additional training to suppliment my second job.  We get range time maybe 2 or 3 times a year, and I figured I better take it upon myself to stay current, so I got a PAL. 

My first rifle is very similar to my work one, except it's a bit shorter.  I'm using layman's terms because I'm a complete beginner and don't know the lingo very well yet...besides, it will be easier for beginner shooters to associate with.


I bought a Norinco CQ-A from Lever Arms, which is a restricted firearm based on the AR.  A lot of people say it's a copy, clone or knock-off of the original M4A1 with a 14.5 inch barrel, but there are a lot of manufacturers that are making their version of this rifle (Bushmaster, Stag, H&K, etc).  From what I read though, they're not a big fan of Norinco down in the states, and my guess is it probably has to to with copyright issues?  Well, it's about half the price of the cheapest name-brand AR in Canada, so I figured might as well grab one, and if I get bored of the hobby, then I haven't invested that much into it.

My rifle came in pretty good condition considering where they were made, and apparently with a far better finish than the earlier generations of Norinco CQ-As.  It was still a bit rought around the edges, and there were plenty of machine marks, but overall not too bad.  It's definitely not on par with my Diemaco/Colt Canada work rifle, but it all fits together, all the working parts do exactly what they're supposed to, and when I pull the trigger, it goes bang, so I'm happy.

We have this rule in Canada where mags are limited to 5 rounds (yes, I am aware of the LAR-15 pistol mag), so the first thing I did when I got my Norc was to call up Justin from Canadian Tatcical Cowboy Supplies and pick up a pile of spare mags. 

As I soon found out, Chris Costas was right about endlessly pouring money into this weapon system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not quite a daisho, but pretty close.

 Not quite a daisho, but close at a quick glance.  A lot of times, daisho didn't have perfectly matched koshirae, or even blades from th...