Tuesday, August 6, 2013

New Barrel and Polymer Buffer Pin for my Ruger 10/22


 It's Christmas, haha!  My new barrel for my Ruger 10/22 came in today.  It's an E.R. Shaw 10/22 LR .920" diameter 1 in 16" twist 18" stainless steel - heavier than hell, haha!  That was one beefy barrel, and the Archangel stock kit already adds some decent weight to the 10/22.  I'd say it weights nearly as much as my AR now.









I also ordered a few of these polymer buffer pins, supposedly to absorb the shock from the bolt and keeps it from slamming into the receiver.  Apparently,  Ruger receivers can crack or break after long periods of time.



It was a pretty simple install, just strip the rifle with the trigger group out, and pop it in.




 One of the hardest part of the install today was getting the factory barrel out.  It was a right pain in the arse, and I sweat buckets trying to get it out.  I was tempted to take a hammer to the thing, but at the last moment, I noticed it started to give, and eventually, it slid out.  I heard that some people believe it's threaded into the receiver, but it's not.  It's just really, really tight.






There was a bit of gunk after I yanked the factory barrel, so I cleaned it up a bit first before sticking in the new barrel, which fit like a glove.  


I had to make sure that the extractor was lined up with the barrel before tightening down the v-block.  I heard if this isn't done right, it might result in failure to ejects.  The above pic shows it not lined up.  The series of pics below shows it lined up.







It's a pretty barrel, with a nice finish on it.  I've read a lot of good reviews on this barrel, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.





I thought the 18in barrel was going to be too long, but it actually doesn't look too bad.  




Like I said, this is a beefy barrel.  It adds a bit more weight to the front end, but hopefully the weight gain will be worth it.  And aesthetically speaking, it looks a lot better than the factory contour barrel.



I'll take her tot he range this weekend and try her out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not quite a daisho, but pretty close.

 Not quite a daisho, but close at a quick glance.  A lot of times, daisho didn't have perfectly matched koshirae, or even blades from th...