Saturday, August 3, 2013

New Norinco M1911A1 Police

I think I have GAS - Gun Aquisition Syndrom, haha!  Less than two weeks after I got my first Norinco 1911A1 from the Canada Ammo deal, I ended up getting another Norc, haha!  When I first got the idea of getting the Can Am deal, I thought to myself of all the things I would do to modify it and give the thing an updated look.  I even went as far as ordering parts for it even before I took deliver of the pistol.  I ordered a Springfield Armory flat main spring housing, Wilson Combat beavertail grip safety, Wilson Combat Match skeleton trigger, Smith & Wesson skeleton hammer, hammer strut, and hammer strut pin, Smith & Wesson sear and disconnector.

But once I took delivery of my Can Am 1911, I held it in my hands and thought it didn't look all that bad bone stock (except for the ugly Norc grips).  My example had a nice, tight slide to frame, as well as a tight barrel/bushing/slide fit.  The more I held the 1911A1 Government, the more I started to appreciate the classic look and found myself thinking it was a shame to mod this one, I should get another one to mod instead. It was a good thing I didn't touch the the Norc itself, and only fitted the parts to the 1911, not the other way around.

I shopped around for a bit and was close to picking up another Can Am deal when I stumbled on this Norinco M1911A1 Police model from another CGNer.  I picked it up and immediately returned my 1911A1 Government to it's stock form, stripping off all the after market parts I got for it, including the beavertail grip safety I bled and sweat to make fit.  Anyway, I ended up only using the Wilson Combat Match trigger (with additional fitting) and the Smith & Wesson hammer/strut assembly.  The Police model already had a beaver tail grip safety and flat mainspring housing so I guess that's more goodies for the spare parts bin....haha!


M1911A1 Police model above, and my modded 1911A1 Government on the bottom.


My modded 1911A1 Government


My newest M1911A1 Police


 The factory 1911A1 Government grip safety.


The hammer strut channel on the grip safety was pretty rough from the factory.


The factory Norinco 1911A1 Government model hammer/strut assembly.


The factory trigger.



 I polished the hammer and strut a bit, but I was hesitant to overdo it just s as before, so I just polished it a bit and left it as is.



 I also polished up the trigger bow a bit



And lastly the hammer strut channel, polished that a bit as well.


Something weird happened, the grip screw busing came out in the grip.  At first, I thought I broke it, but on closer inspection, I found that they do come out....I just have no idea how I'm going to separate the screw from the bushing.




 Just as before, when I got the Wilson Combat match trigger into the 1911A1 Government, I had to do some sanding to get it to fit the M1911A1 Police.  It took a while, but I finally managed to get it to fit.


I didn't have anything finer than 320 grit, so I think I could have gotten it shinier, but it didn't turn out too bad.


The now unused Wilson Combat beaver tail grip safety



The factory Police skeleton trigger.



And the factory Police skeleton hammer/strut assembly






And my Springfield Armory flat mainspring housing.  I tried to fit this into my GSG 1911 but it was really, really tight.  I'm not sure I can make it work, so I may have to sell it and pick up a polymer one for my GSG.




This is the end result.  I think it looks a bit better, and I may do more things in the future, but so far, I'm pretty happy with the results.







The Norinco M1911A1 Police top, and the 1911A1 Government bottom.



I'll keep the Government model as is, maybe get some wood grips at the most, but the Police model will now be my project gun/beater gun.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Canadian Forces Small Arms Program - updates

A buddy of mine passed these on to me, so I guess I'll have to build a few new clones....damn, lol! The image of the pistol is ...